This position is located in the Office of the Director in the UN Medical Services Division (MSD), Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM), Department of Management (DM). The internship is UNPAID and full-time (five days per week), for a minimum duration of two (2) months and can be extended up to six (6) months.
Under the overall supervision of the Medical Director, the incumbent may have responsibilities which include, but are not limited to:
• Assist in development of critical health-related SOPs, plans and guidelines for the Medical Services in UNHQ and field duty stations.
• Assist in coordinating CME training sessions for medical and administrative staff
• Assist in IT-related projects including preparing and analyzing health-related data from online surveys, and statistical and epidemiological review of MSD data sets
• Contribute to the monitoring of latest health policy developments relevant for MSD;
• Assist in conducting research on other matters related to the work of MSD
• Perform any other duties as requested by the supervisor.
-Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
-Keeps abreast of available technology;
-Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office;
-Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks;
-Shows willingness to learn new technology.
We are looking for applicants who demonstrate their intention to study further or work in a field relevant to the work of the Medical Services Division.
To qualify for consideration for an internship by the United Nations Headquarters Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
(1) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(2) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(3) Have graduated with a university degree as defined in (1) and (2) above.
(4) Candidates who are selected, must commence the internship programme either prior to graduation or within one year of graduation from an academic programme as describe in (1) and (2).
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Applicants are encouraged to clearly indicate their preferences and highlight their specific skills and/or experience in their cover note. They are asked to do so carefully in order to enhance the value of the internship for both themselves and the receiving UN department.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager for further consideration.
A complete online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required.
To complete an online application, please create and complete a personal history
profile (PHP) and a cover letter in the UN e-Recruitment system (careers.un.org).
Please ensure that you indicate your proficiency in the English language in your PHP.
Please note that incomplete applications with not be reviewed.
The cover note should include:
(1) Title of the degree currently being pursued by the applicant and the specific subjects taken;
(2) Expected graduation date from the degree programme that the applicant is enrolled in;
(3) List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
(4) Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme and how an internship with the Medical Services Division in the UN fits within your education/career plan;
Please note that due to high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.