The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship Programme (LExS) is open to outstanding Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a master’s degree programme at Leiden University starting February 2020.
All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden. Leiden University located in the city of Leiden, is the oldest university in the Netherlands.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has three awards:
- € 10.000 of the tuition fee
- € 15.000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students’ academic level of excellence. Please be aware that the LExS is not a full scholarship.
- Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting September 2017 or February 2018
- In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enrol. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad.
- The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans.
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree with the exception of students applying for a Master programme for which a specified previous Master programme or work experience is mandatory (the LLM advanced masters qualify as such).
- Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the Rules and Regulations attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. Programmes starting Feb: 1 Oct / Programmes starting Sept: 1 Feb / Exception – LLM Advanced Studies programmes: 1 October.
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.