DAAD the Department of Philology with cooperation of DAAD at the Westfälische Wilhelms University in Munster is inviting for scholarships for interested & qualified international PhD candidates in the area of literary studies starting at October 1st, 2019.
- University/Organization: Westfälische Wilhelms- University of MünsterFounded in 1780, the WWU Münster is one of the fifth largest universities situated in Münster, Germany. It offers a wide range of PhD programmes, postgraduate courses & an excellent research environment for visiting scholars from foreign.In this university students will gain various opportunities to prepare for careers in academic & non-academic contexts.
- Each DAAD scholarship in this programme comprises funding for up to three years or up to four years for applicants coming from developing or emerging countries. The purpose of this scholarship is to promote higher education and science increasingly in the area of development cooperation.
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: All international candidates are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Eligible Course or Subjects:
- literary studies
- Participating areas of study:
- English/American Studies,
- Arabic/Islamic Studies, Baltic Studies,
- Book Studies,
- German Studies,
- Comparative Studies,
- Latin Philology/Studies, Neo-
- Medieval Latin Studies
- Dutch Studies
- Scandinavian Studies, Romance Studies (Main Areas: French, Spanish, and Italian Literature),
The program revolves around three main subject areas:
- Literature and Society,
- Theories of Literature
- Putting the Study of Literature into Practice.
Must hold Master’s degree (i.e. taken their last final exam)
no more than 6 years prior to the time when the DAAD receives the nomination letter.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
Take admission in a PhD research program at the university first. After admission, applications to the GSPoL should be submitted in written form
(via email as a single PDF file) & include the required materials/supporting documents.
The applicants must submit
- CV (without photograph)
- letter of motivation(stating the reasons for the application to the GSPoL)
- proof that the applicant has completed a master’s degree (usually in literary studies) with a final grade of “gut” (2.0) (according to § 5 (1) of the GSPoL study regulations)
- proof of German
- English and, possibly, additional foreign language skills
- brief (approx. half-page) abstract of the PhD project
- project proposal of about 10 pages in length, including a title, table of con-tents, detailed outline (of the topic; its originality and significance; aims and methodology), as well as a bibliography, and timeline including optional stays/studies abroad of up to one year in total (= 25% of the duration of the scholarship), which may not be scheduled at the beginning of the programme
- 2nletters of reference(Referees should use this form)
Admission Requirements: For admission at the university, candidates must have the Master’s/Magister/Staatsexamen degree (usually in literary studies) with a minimum grade of “gut” (2.0). Applicants must have received their Master’s degree.
Language Requirement: English language requirements also must as additional foreign language skills according to § 5 (2) of the GSPoL study regulations.
as well as Very good German language skills are recommended, as the courses at the GSPoL are taught in German
Scholarship Benefits: Funding for 4 years to the successful scholarship winners.